Saturday, August 29, 2015

What does the Sage say?




The Full Moon holds the spotlight for the White Sage (Salvia Apiana) plant. Her silvery leaves become luscious and plump with life energy. She revels in her essence, which is gladly shared with gentle visitors of the night.
          To capture her essence my brother, on a cool winter night, sought out the plant at Madre Grande Monastery, where I live, in the hills of San Diego County, California.  He communed with the Sage, promised his intent to do no harm to her, and was offered several bunches of leaves. Under the magic of lunar illumination he placed water and sage leaves into a glass jar, and mixed them with peace, joy, and understanding that we are all one. Full Moon tea was brewed.
We enjoyed the tea next day with a group of friends who wanted to know more about southern California native plants. Under the guidance of these generous plants, which form the very soil we walk on, in which our food grows, our awareness began to expand. The circle of life was starting to take shape in our hearts and become a reality in our consciousness.

 After we sipped the tea, we were guided to have alone time and visit with the White Sage plants in the garden, deepening our connections with the plant realm. Here are some of the shares that happened that afternoon:
Mille – I enjoyed the Moon tea, its aroma is subtle and powerful in a homeopathic sense. Although I can still feel the effect of jetlag (Mille was visiting from Hague) I feel refreshed, attentive and calm in the same time. The plant I sat by taught me about generosity.
Marty – Plants don’t speak English. They speak intent – life force. The biggest obstacle in establishing a relationship with plants, or any other being for that matter, is the unconscious projection of our own thoughts upon them. They know a lot more about some things than we do, for example how to make the best out of the environment they are in.
Sally – I told my plant: “I know you! You survived a lot!” and we sat together in silence like two very good friends.
Amy – I remembered that I can pluck one of my hairs (Amy has a beautiful, long, blond hair) and offer it to the plant before I pick any leaves or flowers, in recognition of the sacred exchange.  I thanked my plant for the strength that she shared with me beyond words.
Radu – Something from the plant came out and purified me like a filter. I was not the only one cleansed that way, the whole environment seemed clarified and fresh because of the plant’s presence.
James – I saw my plant like a tree, as if it had big plans for the future. I congratulated it: “Way to go!” I also had the impression that some plants were working as a group. They felt the need to be positive as a unit. The group was formed to make sure they absolutely transmit positivity to me. This was a very vulnerable type of exchange because if I would have chosen to be negative, that would have hurt the plants.
Monica – After I offered tobacco to my plant, I asked for guidance in my relationship with a friend. I sat on the dirt with my eyes closed in a dream like state. I clearly saw three plants: a Matilija Poppy, the feathered like styluses from Mountain Mahogany, and a Yellow Rose. I felt certain that if I allowed these plant images to mingle with my thoughts while conversing with my friend, the misunderstandings were reduced to a minimum while respect and ability to listen were blooming.
I learned that afternoon that the environment speaks to us, especially when we are still and connected to our spirit. When we share our life consciously with our habitat our attention is trained, and many stories are born. Dare to get out there and explore your own connections with Nature. It is always worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment